Monday, April 13, 2009

Our little boy



It was a normal Tuesday morning where we had our normal routine...Woke up, showered and was getting ready to work. Usually I will let Mou Mou out for a pee and pooh first thing. There is no exception this day. I let him out to the backyard, he did his business and waited for me to let him in while I was making breakkie.

All of a sudden, his body curled uncontrollably, his eyes were fixated on one direction, he tried to stand up, but couldn't...He collapsed on the floor...I rushed to the door, he stumbled into the house and collapsed on the kitchen floor while hubby rushed down....He was lifeless for a few seconds i think. Both of us were on the floor, trying to calm him down...I thought I was going to lose our little boy! Hubby kept saying Mou you can do it....and true enough, before we knew it, he got back onto his feet....It was as though nothing had happened...

I gave him a warm bowl of milk to calm his system down and I think he wanted for more food! It was a great relief that he was doing fine after that....

That morning, we believe Mou Mou experienced his first fit / epilepsy.....

We checked with a couple of our vet friends and found out it is not too uncommon for a dog to experience epilepsy. Spoke to mum and found out one of her dogs had 2 attacks too...

This is what one of our friends had to say about epilepsy...

The exact cause of each epilepsy is hard to determine. Many dogs have an episode or 2 when they are very young and then never have it again. Our bodies, and animals' bodies are so intelligent in survival...At the very moment when Mou Mou looked like he had stopped breathing, THAT is the exact moment the survival mode kicks in. No breathing means no oxygen to his brain. No oxygen to his brain means the nerve cells that started that seizure cannot work, and thus stop! And the epilepsy stops too!

How amazing is that hey! God is truly amazing in creating us....all creatures, big and small. We thank God Mou Mou is perfectly fine now. Hope he doesn't experience another episode as it was rather scary!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow.. sounds pretty scary. thank God he is fine. :) Miin