Sunday, April 06, 2008

It's not easy....



I usually go groceries once a week...I enjoyed doing it very much...While hubby only go into a grocery store to grab what he really needs, I usually like to take my time, walk aisle by aisle, survey what's new in the market, what has gone up in price, what is on special etc etc...When I wait in line to pay for my groceries, I usually like looking around, observe what's going on surrounding me....

This week, I encountered a few rather interesting people while I was waiting in line to pay for my groceries...

Scene 1 - Mother & Daughter rushed back to the cashier

Daughter: We only bought 1 of these, but you have charged us for double the amount. Could you please make sure it has been refunded.
Cashier (a bit frust): Pointing to the amount. There you go, I have refunded it!
Daughter: But it doesn't specifically say it's for this item. Could you please re-scan everything then!
Cashier (very angry): Grabbed the receipt from her hand, took everything out from the bag and re-scanned all the items again.
Daughter (not in a very nice tone): Can you please give me my old receipt.
Cashier (very very agitated): I will give you your receipt when I finish scanning your goods...

It went on and on....While all these are happening, the mum, who presumably didn't understand much english and relying on her daughter, spoke in some foreign language to the daughter constantly. Can you imagine...It was a pretty big comotion!

Scene 2 - Mother & Daughter were paying for their groceries at the checkout

Mother: Oh oh, this is $1.20, I don't think I want that. Can you please cancel it.
Cashier: Did exactly what she requested, patiently...
Mother: Oh this is a bit old looking...I don't think I want that. She was hesitating, thinking whether to take it or not.
Cashier (a bit impatient): So do you want this?
Mother: Nah....
They paid and went off....Not long after that, they came back into the shop. Mother has the receipt in her hand.
Mother: This is supposed to be $3.20 but you charged us $3.50.
Cashier (Silent sigh), passed her 30cents back.
Mother: Do we get this item for free?
Cashier (firmly): NO
Mother: We should get this for free you know, it's your mistake.
Cashier (firmly and moved on to the next customer): NO

Scene 3 - Father & Son paying at the cashier

Pretty cool and steady. I gathered the cashier knows the son. The son paid while the father carried all the bags of groceries.
Son: What time do you finish for the day?
Cashier: Oh we close at 6pm today. She handed him $5 worth of change.
Son: No no...keep the change!
Cashier: No No......please take your change.....
The traditional chinese pull & push went on for a while....The Son insisted, so the cashier take the $5.

Who knows, the son might be interested in the cashier...:)

What a contrast hey! It's not easy for these cashiers to be at the shops, serving difficult customers....I have told myself after encountering this, I will be even more kind to the cashiers....

2 comments:

Giraffe and Panda said...

Wah .. so drama one when u go shopping!! How come i don't get such drama?? Hehe .. all i get is the aunty in front of me trying to pay off her $22.65 bill in coins!! Hehehe ...

Panda

Davinez said...

Haha...Drama right...I also don't know! Let's see whether I will encounter any this weekend..:)